These little energy bites are perfect little snacks - pre or post workouts or when the sweet craving hits. They are no-bake, gluten free, vegan & paleo friendly and taste deliciously like fall.
These delicious energy bites taste just like an amazing pumpkin pie, only they are much healthier. They are sweetened with dates, flavored withhomemade pumpkin pie spice+ vanilla, and have great crunch from cashews and chia seeds.
Recently, my husband started working out seriously again. Not only does he spent time at the gym, he also started tracking his protein intake. Usually he will have a homemade protein shake soon after his workout.
It happens though, that sometimes he comes back right before mealtime. If he has a full protein shake, he'll have no interest in dinner (which doesn't make me very happy).
To solve this dilemma, I started having small protein-rich energy bites ready for him. So if I am about to finish cooking dinner or we plan to go out soon, he can just pop a couple of the bites. Which give him needed post-workout nutrition without ruining his appetite for hours.
With fall season starting soon I created this fitting Pumpkin Pie flavor. Which I might love even more than my husband. Let me tell you, they are a perfect little snack with my afternoon coffee (even if I haven't been to the gym).
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
Makes 16 energy bites
1 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1.5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 cup cashew nuts
1/4 cup chia seeds
desiccated coconut (optional)
1. Soak the dates in water for 10 minutes to soften. Drain and add to a food processor.
2. Add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, + salt and process until smooth.
3. Add cashew nuts and chia seeds and pulse a few times. The nuts should be coarsely chopped.
4. Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes before forming into 16 bites. Optionally, roll each energy bite in desiccated coconut.
5. Store in the fridge or freezer.